Tuesday 24 January 2012

Return to Blogging

Now, as you have probably noticed, it has been some considerable time since I formulated any sort of blog post. This, naturally, is very disappointing for everyone, and so today sees the recommencement of my blogging!

The reason my blog has seen no action over the last few months is thus wise; I moved to York. York being a medieval city, it lives in the dark ages and it took no less than 7 weeks to get the internet installed in our house. It did occur to me then to start up blogging again, but life intervened, and I didn't get around to it until today.

My absence has been so that I feel I must fill you in on some background information of my now-life, in order that future blog posts may have a reference point. So!

YORK
York is interesting. It was always one of my favourite places to visit when I was a lowly undergraduate student, but living here is not quite the same sort of affair. It is truly a beautiful place, and is much nicer to invite friends to visit than, say, Hull, but it is perpetually full of tourists, which is a little wearing. It is also very cold and the area I live in is not the nicest; hopefully summer will bring good things.

COURSE
Being a student again is hard work. It is absolutely nothing like I expected it would be - unless you count me still having my Christmas decorations up, like a true student - and I have been struggling to reconcile what I'm doing with what I wanted to do. The course is not what I wanted; the prospectus seems to have been misleading and I have ended up on a theory-based course. Which I am sure will stand me in good stead to get jobs, but just isn't what I was aiming for. However, some of the modules are very enjoyable.

LIFE
Life is going alright in the general sense. Little bit of a tumultuous few months for the Olivers; my Uncle died unexpectedly and my Daddy isn't well, as well as Grandad's Hospital Holidays. However, Little Brother is doing very well at his studies, and Kitten has settled in very well with Grandma and Gramps. Friends are doing well; plans for the future continue to press on in all circles. Some of my best friends are moving house, one moved to another country, some more are getting married, some have moved back to the NE, and one is an Edwardian. Have acquired a gentleman friend, but he teaches Maths, so the less said the better.

THEATRE
This has been an odd one. Moving to York presented lots of opportunities. I made the horrendous mistake of auditioning for Cabaret - for which, after SEVERE pain on the dance audition, I was told my singing was too 'polished'. I dabbled in the Drama Society and the Uni G&S Society but decided neither was to my taste (or flexible enough for my time pressures!) and alighted on Jorvick G&S as a more mature model. I will be directing HMS Pinafore (again! I know!) for them, to be performed in September. Dauntless seems to be going well, and I eagerly anticipate casting ready for Buxton. I shall not be going to Buxton other than with Dauntless this year, having made the executive decision that it is unhealthy to be so involved.

OTHER STUFF

I can thoroughly recommend Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip as an excellent dvd box set investment, as can I the BBC 'Sherlock' series. I know more about Doctor Who than anyone could ever need to know now, after writing an essay on it. Ben Aaronovich is my new favourite author; 'Rivers of London' and sequel 'Moon Over Soho' are both amazingly gripping reads. I have rediscovered a love of baking. Oh, and I am now an expert knitter!

More posts, some back dated and others, will follow shortly. Until then, adieu!

No comments:

Post a Comment